Enigmatic holes of various shapes can be found in the stone lines, cairns, Mima Mound stone decorations, stone patterns and individual stones.
- There are circular holes.
- There are star holes with 3 to 11 points.
- Holes are found in different types of rock, andesite, basalt, dacite, limestone, etc.
- Hole size varies, a common hole size is about 2.75 inches (7 cm) in diameter.
- The hole may penetrate the rock from a depth from 1 inch (2.5 cm) to over 30 inches (76 cm).
- Holes that have been examined do not have any rotational drilling groves.
- Many have a variety of "textured walls".
- Many show signs of vitrification.
- Some holes extend through the entire stone and some do not.
- Some holes have protrusions extending from the hole walls.
- After the protrusions the holes become circular again.
Similar holes have been found at ancient megalithic sites such as Egypt, Peru and Easter Island.